The Dutch Design Awards 2023 nominees have been unveiled
The winners will be announced during a live DDA Award Show on September 21, 2023. Additionally, the work of all nominees will be showcased at Dutch Design Week 2023 (DDW23) from October 21 to 29, 2023
Each year, Dutch Design Awards acknowledges exceptional Dutch designers and their groundbreaking projects, while examining the influence of diverse disciplines, perspectives, and solutions on our society.
A panel of independent design professionals, led by expert jury chairs Chris Kabel (Studio Chris Kabel), Femke Bijlsma (Kossmandejong), Mieke Gerritzen (The Image Society), Iris Ruisch (State of Fashion), Angelique Spaninks (MU Hybrid Art House), Daniël Sytsma (Code d’azur), Tijn van Elderen (Brabantia), and Evelien Reich (ELLE Decoration NL), has nominated three projects in each of the following categories:
- Design Research
- Data & Interaction
- Best Commissioning
- Young Designer
These projects are evaluated based on specific criteria such as impact, distinctiveness, expressiveness, and production method, occasionally supplemented by category-specific criteria.
Here are the nominees for Dutch Design Awards 2023 (listed in no particular order).
Industrial design or limited editions that improve life and make it easier. From products for the workplace or home to the mobility of people and animals, for the consumer or the B2B market.
- WAYANG KULIT | SAMPAT STUDIO
- FROM THE HIMALAYAS | SUPER LOCAL
- NATURE-FRIENDLY STARTER HOMES FOR SWALLOWS | OMLAB
Design and layout of private and public spaces that improve the quality of life. From infrastructure to interior and from cultural to commercial, permanent or temporary.
- BOSK | ARCADIA x GEMEENTE LEEUWARDEN
- DE KUNSTWERF | STUDIO DONNA VAN MILLIGEN BIELKE x ARD DE VRIES ARCHITECTEN
- GROENMARKT | RONALD JANSSEN ARCHITECTEN x BASTIAAN JONGERIUS ARCHITECTEN x BURO HARRO
The original way in which design is applied to create an effective and innovative connection between objective, message, medium and receiver. From brand and graphic design to digital and advertising.
- CANDY LAND | SIMONE POST
- THE NEW STIJL | …,STAAT
- MODEM RESEARCH PAPERS | MODEM
Fashion, whereby wearability is not a prerequisite. From collections, unique pieces and accessories to offline or online performances.
- TAILORS AND WEARERS | TAILORS AND WEARERS – PLATFORM VOOR AFRO-SURINAAMSE MODE EN ERFGOED
- FASHION (EXPO AT FOAM) | PAUL KOOIKER
- HENK | LISA KONNO
Scenarios and concepts that are based on thorough research. From speculative to applied, from research to design and from idea to solution, with an emphasis on the research phase.
- LEGAL INNOVATION: THE NORTH SEA SPEAKS | EMBASSY OF THE NORTH SEA
- THE WATERWORKS OF OUR MONEY | STUDIO CARLIJN KINGMA
- ATLAS OF QUEER ANATOMY | KUANG-YI KU x HENRY DE VRIES
Data & Interaction
Design of interactive installations and interfaces whereby the application of data adds value for people, society and/or nature. Projects are innovative in character and stimulate (inter)action. From autonomous to commercial, from app to site and from installations to virtual worlds.
- MB > CO2 | THIJS BIERSTEKER – WOVEN STUDIO
- ROMANTIC FUTURISM: A DIGITAL FRESCO FOR GUCCI CHENGDU | RANDOM STUDIO
- VOICES FROM THE FRONTLINE – AFRICA CLIMATE MOBILITY INITIATIVE WEBSITE | CLEVER°FRANKE
The prize for commissioning bodies that make strategic and structural use of design and designers in their organisation or institute. From selection and briefing to offering space for creativity and safeguarding the results within their organisation.
- THE SOFT CITY | ROTTERDAM CIRCULAIR x CHRISTIEN MEINDERTSMA
- LOADS | STUDIO CLAUDY JONGSTRA x STUDIO CLAUDY JONGSTRA
- MISSJOURNEY.AI | TEDXAMSTERDAM WOMEN x ACE
The stimulation fund for young talented designers who graduated no more than five years ago. The designer is central in the assessment process and the quality of the entire portfolio is taken into account.
- GABRIEL FONTANA
- MARCOS KUEH
- DAE UK KIM